Acura is known as a luxury brand, and the Acura certified pre-owned program irrefutably defends that reputation. The program provides an impressive warranty, thorough inspection, and goes above and beyond with more perks than most CPO programs. Thanks to the included warranty and inspection, we will always recommend a CPO vehicle over a generic used car.
Here we’ll cover everything you need to know about the Acura certified pre-owned program, including warranty coverage, insight into their thorough inspections, and what comes with your purchase.
TLDR; An Acura certified pre-owned vehicle comes with impressive warranties. Their limited warranty is far beyond the industry standard, while their powertrain warranty is about average. Acura inspects more on their cars than most other automakers and undoubtedly provides more perks than most.
Acura’s Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Information
Acura provides an impressive warranty with all of their CPO vehicles. For a deep dive into the Acura warranty, they’ve provided the full manual on their website. It’s 41 pages long, so we’ll cover the main points for you below.
To become certified as an Acura certified pre-owned vehicle, the car must be:
- Under six years old
- Under 80,000 miles
What does Acura’s Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Cover?
When you buy an Acura certified pre-owned vehicle, it comes with two warranties. Each warranty covers different parts of your vehicle.
Limited Warranty covers:
- Fuel system
- Batteries and bulbs
- Heating and air conditioning
- Electrical and sensors
- Audio and navigation devices
- Safety and safety restraints
- Fluids and lubricants
- Diagnostic time
Powertrain Warranty covers:
- Front-wheel drive system
- Rear-wheel drive system
There is an exhaustive list of precisely what is covered, and perhaps more importantly, what is not covered, at the manual on their website.
Both warranties will replace original parts that are directly stated as covered, provided that the issue stems from the part that is defective. Repairs must be completed in an authorized Acura facility and the parts used must be original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts.
In the event of emergency repairs, meaning a repair that’s completed outside of an approved facility, Acura offers to provide reimbursement based on a few of the following conditions:
- The vehicle was completely immobile or otherwise unsafe to drive
- The repair would’ve been covered at an authorized repair facility
- There are no authorized Acura dealers or facilities within 50 miles, or they’re closed
- All repairs receive prior authorization
That’s pretty generous of them; most automakers wouldn’t provide this level of care or reimbursement. This reimbursement raises them quite a bit in our eyes.
How long does Acura’s Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Last?
Acura provides two warranties under their CPO program with different durations:
- Two years or 100,00 miles, whichever occurs first
- Begins when the Acura pre-owned vehicle is purchased or at the expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
- Seven years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first
- Begins with the Acura was initially purchased as new
All new Acuras come with a New Vehicle Limited Warranty that is good for four years or 50,000 miles. If a certified pre-owned vehicle is purchased that still has this warranty active, the CPO warranty begins after the New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires.
All new vehicles come with a New Vehicle Powertrain Warranty that is valid for six years or 70,000 miles. This coverage overlaps with the Certified Pre-Owned Powertrain Warranty, so you’ll receive an extra year and 30,000 miles.
Both warranties are fully transferable if the vehicle is sold within the timeframe. No fee is required, and all that’s needed is a call to their client care services department. This transferability can be a great selling point if you’re looking to sell your vehicle.
We’re quite impressed by the length of their limited warranty. It’s way above industry standard, both in duration and allotted mileage. Their powertrain warranty is average.
Acura’s Certified Pre-Owned Inspection
All Acuras that meet the minimum requirements of the program must undergo a 182-point inspection. You can review the entire inspection checklist at this website, but we’ve provided the major points below:
- Front interior, including horn operation and carpet condition
- Rear interior, including armrest condition and rear door operation
- Front exterior, including bumper condition and side mirror operation
- Rear exterior, including turn-signal light operation and trunk condition
- Underhood check, including engine mounts condition and cooling fan operation
- Under the vehicle, including brake caliper condition and driveshaft condition
- Brakes/tires, including brake pads and rotors condition for all four tires
- Replacement of various items, such as engine air filter and master keys
- Road test, including idle vibration and acceleration power
All CPO programs include a thorough inspection, but Acura raises the bar with its 182-point inspection once again exceeding industry standards
Other Acura Certified Pre-Owned Perks
All Acura certified pre-owned vehicles come with many included bonuses:
- Rental car reimbursement based on the amount of required repair time. This includes increases in reimbursement for extended repair times. The maximum repair time is over 16 hours, and they will allow four days and reimburse $180.
- A three-month subscription to SiriusXM
- The vehicle inspection form used to certify the vehicle
- Your first scheduled maintenance, such as an oil change, is complimentary
- 24/7 roadside assistance, covering all major issues, such as fuel delivery, battery jump-starts, changing flats, and emergency towing
- Access to the Acura Concierge Service, which provides several personal services, such as insurance claims assistance and glass replacement referrals
- Trip interruption expense reimbursement if your vehicle breaks down over 100 miles from your residence
- A three-month trial to AcuraLink, which provides services like Find My Car and Automatic Collision Notification
Acura has gone above and beyond with their included perks. While many auto manufacturers offer a few of these perks, Acura sought to provide their customers with unparalleled services.
We’re impressed by Acura’s CPO program. They provide an excellent warranty, plenty of perks, and a thorough inspection. Make sure that you still get your pre-inspection completed and you should be in good shape with your new car.