Audi certified pre-owned vehicles are an excellent choice for someone who wants luxury and reliability without paying brand new car prices. It’s a great alternative to buying a questionable Audi off Craigslist. We’re about to go over the Audi CPO program’s intricacies and provide our insights along the way.
TLDR; The Audi certified pre-owned program only features one warranty: either the New Vehicle Limited Warranty that’s still active or a new CPO warranty. However, you don’t receive both. If the new car warranty is still active, there is no additional warranty. There’s also no separate powertrain warranty. However, the incredibly in-depth inspection process almost makes up for having unique warranty policies.
Audi’s Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Information
Audi has a unique warranty program since there are no mileage restrictions. They also do not separate their warranties based on what they cover, which many other automakers do. Instead, they have a warranty that covers almost every component on the vehicle.
The following criteria must be met to be eligible for the Audi certified pre-owned program:
- Passed vehicle history report with verified mileage
- Five years old or newer
- No more than 60,000 miles
- No aftermarket modifications
If it meets the above criteria, then it moves on to the inspection. We’ll cover the inspection in detail later on.
What does Audi’s Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Cover?
Your Audi certified pre-owned vehicle will come with either the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Certified Pre-owned Limited Warranty. You can review more about these warranties in the publicly available warranty manual. If there is no remaining Audi New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage at the time of purchase, the Audi Certified preowned Limited Warranty coverage period begins immediately and continues for 12 months, regardless of miles. Both provide the same coverage:
- No deductible for covered repairs
- Repairs must be completed at an Audi dealership
- Emergency repairs will be reimbursed provided there was no way to move the car to an Audi dealership
As for which components and systems are covered, the warranty is quite comprehensive. Please note that the below list is not all-inclusive:
- Engine, including engine block, pistons, and camshaft
- Cooling system, including radiator and coolant pump
- Automatic and manual transmissions, including the transmission control module and internal shift rods
- Final drive, including the drive shaft bearings and bearing housing
- Suspension, including axles and control arms
- Brakes, including ABS components and calipers
- Climate control, including A/C compressor and heater control cables
- Radio and navigation, including sound system and navigation components
Audi also makes special mention of areas that are not covered under warranty. This list is also not all-inclusive:
- Maintenance services
- Any issues related to wear, as decided by the Audi technician
- Any issues related to damage, misuse, or negligence
The exclusion list is standard, and nothing strikes us as out of place. The only aspect of the Audi warranty that’s odd is the lack of a more extended powertrain warranty.
How long does Audi’s Certified Pre-Owned Warranty Last?
All newly sold Audi’s come with a New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which lasts for four years and 50,000 miles. If this warranty is still active at the time of the CPO vehicle purchase, the warranty carries over.
If the New Vehicle Limited Warranty has expired at the time of the CPO car purchase, then the CPO Limited Warranty begins and will last for 12 months with no mileage limitation.
The lack of a mileage restriction on their warranties is outstanding and speaks to Audi’s overall brand since this is always the case.
We have to note that the way this is phrased, it is explicitly stated that you don’t receive the CPO Limited Warranty at all if you purchase a CPO vehicle that still has time left on the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Keep this in mind when shopping to guarantee that you have an extended warranty left on your CPO vehicle.
Whichever warranty covers your vehicle, it is fully transferable if you decide to sell your car while the warranty is still active. There is no fee for transferring your CPO or New Car warranty.
Audi’s Certified Pre-Owned Inspection
Audi goes above and beyond with their inspections. They call it a “300+” point inspection, which is miles above what other automakers offer. It’s almost double the number of inspection points as many other manufacturers. You can view the complete checklist on their website, but we’ll cover some highlights:
- Front interior, including fuel door release, dome light, and speakers functionality
- Rear interior, including window functionality and safety belts
- Front exterior, including headlight functionality and park sensors
- Rear exterior, including window glass condition and rear bumper condition
- Top exterior, including sunroof condition and convertible condition (if applicable)
- Engine, including engine mounts condition and power steering pump condition
- Cooling system, including water pump condition and coolant system pressure
- Transmission, including overall condition and transmission fluid level
- Electrical system, including alternator condition and battery condition
- Brake system, including brake fluid level and brake master cylinder condition
- Road test, including starter operation and shift interlock
- Undercarriage, including overall condition and brake line functionality
- Tires and wheels, including ensuring all four tires are the approved size
- Brakes, including calipers and brake pad condition
Please note that the above is just a sample; the inspection checklist is quite thorough.
Other Audi Certified Pre-Owned Perks
Every Audi certified pre-owned vehicle includes several perks. Below are the extras you’ll receive with your CPO vehicle:
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance, which covers fuel delivery, lockout services, jump starts, flat tires, and towing to Audi dealerships
- A comprehensive Vehicle History Report
Audi doesn’t seem to care about giving a ton of perks along with their CPO vehicles. Other manufacturers seem to think adding perks will sway people. However, we always say that the inspection and warranty should be what matters most.
We are impressed by the Audi certified pre-owned program. While the lack of a more extended powertrain warranty is concerning, the warranty they provide covers the powertrain. We appreciate the comprehensive inspection, which is an essential part of any CPO program. We recommend buying an Audi certified pre-owned vehicle; make sure you obtain a third-party pre-purchase inspection as well.