Electric trucks are not cheap, and some of them are just downright expensive. Are the fuel savings and power worth the extra cost? This resource features every electric truck’s pricing and range in 2023. Which electric pickups are you interested in? There will be more to choose from in just a few years’ time.
Electric Truck Prices and Range (2023 – 2024 Models)
|Make||Model||Release Date||Starting Price||Fully-Optioned||Range|
|Chevrolet||Silverado EV||Late 2023 (RST First Edition)||$40,000||$105,000||up to 400 miles|
|Ford||F-150 Lightning||available now||$58,514||$98,714||240 - 320 miles|
|GMC||Hummer EV||available now||$86,645||$112,595||329 miles|
|GMC||Sierra EV||early 2024 (Denali)||$50,000||$107,000||up to 400 miles|
|Rivian||R1T||available now||$73,000||$105,000||314 - 400 miles|
Electric Truck Charge Times
First, here are a few things you should know about charging an electric pickup (or any EV for that matter):
- The times below are for public DC (direct current) fast chargers, like those at Tesla Superchargers, Electrify America and EVgo. In reality, about 90% of EV drivers do most of their charging at home overnight. Plug in when you get home and forget about it. Wake up to a full charge! Public charging is usually for traveling.
- It’s a waste of time to charge all the way to 100%. Beyond 80% – 90% state of charge, charging speeds slow considerably for the health of the battery.
- Charging speeds listed below are under optimal conditions, which means not too cold. Under 50 degrees, expect to add 5-15 minutes to these times.
- When towing, electric truck range drops by up to 50%. It’s not about weight, it’s about aerodynamics. You’ll have to charge more often and plan your charging stops.
|Chevrolet||Silverado EV||Add 100 miles in 10 minutes||Expect to add 300 miles of range in 30 minutes|
|Ford||F-150 Lightning||Add 200 miles in 40 minutes||The Lightning charges to 80% quickly, but slows considerably after.|
|GMC||Hummer EV||Add 100 miles in 10 minutes||Expect to add 300 miles of range in 30 minutes|
|GMC||Sierra EV||Add 100 miles in 10 minutes||Expect to add 300 miles of range in 30 minutes|
|Rivian||R1T||Add 200 miles in 35 minutes||The R1T accepts up to 220 KW of power, which is above average|
|Tesla||Cybertruck||n/a||Announced in 2019, the Cybertruck has been delayed to mid 2023.|
|RAM||1500 REV||n/a||more details to be announced Feb. 12|
EV Incentives for Electric Pickups
In 2022, the Inflation Reduction Act was signed into law, and with it came a complete revamp of federal EV incentives. Here’s a brief summary of the biggest changes to tax credits for electric trucks in 2023:
- Only EVs made in North America qualify
- Batteries must be sourced from the U.S. or Free Trade Agreement countries
- Price caps are now in place ($80,000 for electric trucks)
- Income limits are now in place.
See the FULL details on the new federal tax credit for electric vehicles, including qualifying models.